The creation of the camp

The annex camp of Barbe Haslach was created on 16 September 1944; 399 deportees from KL-Natzwiller, via Dachau and Allach, were put into an old Wehrmacht barracks on the playing field of the town of Haslach. The Dohrmann and Wayss & Freytag companies were put in charge of building the project under the direction of the Todt organisation, responsible for construction. The camp's code name was "Barbe" and it was later known as "Lager Sportplatz" ("camp playing field").